Updated May 22, 2012 - 1:51 pm
All eyes on quarterbacks as Cardinals begin OTAs
Both quarterbacks have started for the Cardinals. Both quarterbacks have won games for the Cardinals. Both quarterbacks have potential.
Neither quarterback is a proven commodity.
Day 1 of OTAs is certainly no time to make judgments on the pecking order or where guys stand in the eyes of the coaching staff, but it is worth noting Kolb worked out with the first team Tuesday afternoon.
And given that this is Kolb's first full offseason with the team, he's doing the best he can to learn as much as he can.
"The biggest thing is, that most people don't realize, it's like a slow soaking process right now," he said. "Maybe we're installing four-five plays today, four-five tomorrow.
Kolb said that's how one becomes a faster and more accurate player, traits the team is hoping he'll show this season after a disappointing debut in the desert.
Of course, that's assuming he wins the job over Skelton, the third-year pro who many fans think should be the team's starter.
To his credit, the 24-year-old knows this time isn't so much about winning the job as it is just getting better.
He said there is a great difference between how things feel this year compared to last year, when there were no OTAs due to the lockout, and the year before, when he was a rookie.
"It's all about fixing the stuff that we were lacking last year on the field," he said. "Being able to translate stuff from the meeting rooms onto the field.
"You might not be able to win a job, but you'll probably be able to lose a job in an offseason like this."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.