Updated May 22, 2012 - 1:51 pm
All eyes on quarterbacks as Cardinals begin OTAs
Both quarterbacks have started for the Cardinals. Both quarterbacks have won games for the Cardinals. Both quarterbacks have potential.
Neither quarterback is a proven commodity.
Day 1 of OTAs is certainly no time to make judgments on the pecking order or where guys stand in the eyes of the coaching staff, but it is worth noting Kolb worked out with the first team Tuesday afternoon.
And given that this is Kolb's first full offseason with the team, he's doing the best he can to learn as much as he can.
"The biggest thing is, that most people don't realize, it's like a slow soaking process right now," he said. "Maybe we're installing four-five plays today, four-five tomorrow.
Kolb said that's how one becomes a faster and more accurate player, traits the team is hoping he'll show this season after a disappointing debut in the desert.
Of course, that's assuming he wins the job over Skelton, the third-year pro who many fans think should be the team's starter.
To his credit, the 24-year-old knows this time isn't so much about winning the job as it is just getting better.
He said there is a great difference between how things feel this year compared to last year, when there were no OTAs due to the lockout, and the year before, when he was a rookie.
"It's all about fixing the stuff that we were lacking last year on the field," he said. "Being able to translate stuff from the meeting rooms onto the field.
"You might not be able to win a job, but you'll probably be able to lose a job in an offseason like this."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.