Updated May 22, 2012 - 1:51 pm
All eyes on quarterbacks as Cardinals begin OTAs
Both quarterbacks have started for the Cardinals. Both quarterbacks have won games for the Cardinals. Both quarterbacks have potential.
Neither quarterback is a proven commodity.
Day 1 of OTAs is certainly no time to make judgments on the pecking order or where guys stand in the eyes of the coaching staff, but it is worth noting Kolb worked out with the first team Tuesday afternoon.
And given that this is Kolb's first full offseason with the team, he's doing the best he can to learn as much as he can.
"The biggest thing is, that most people don't realize, it's like a slow soaking process right now," he said. "Maybe we're installing four-five plays today, four-five tomorrow.
Kolb said that's how one becomes a faster and more accurate player, traits the team is hoping he'll show this season after a disappointing debut in the desert.
Of course, that's assuming he wins the job over Skelton, the third-year pro who many fans think should be the team's starter.
To his credit, the 24-year-old knows this time isn't so much about winning the job as it is just getting better.
He said there is a great difference between how things feel this year compared to last year, when there were no OTAs due to the lockout, and the year before, when he was a rookie.
"It's all about fixing the stuff that we were lacking last year on the field," he said. "Being able to translate stuff from the meeting rooms onto the field.
"You might not be able to win a job, but you'll probably be able to lose a job in an offseason like this."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.