Updated May 23, 2012 - 3:31 pm
Cards Ryan Williams cleared for limited activity
Ryan Williams, recovering from right knee surgery, was given the green light for limited activity. He spent a portion of the second day of OTAs in both team (receiving handoffs) and individual drills (working on footwork) before retreating back to the sideline to work with the training staff.
"I think I surprised some people but I didn't surprise myself," he said. "To be squatting close to 400 (pounds), I should be able to do little things like that out there."
Again, it wasn't much but it was his first real football work since last August when he was carted off the field during a preseason game in Green Bay after tearing his patellar tendon.
"It was good to see him back out there just doing some football movements," said running backs coach Tommie Robinson. "Ryan did well within the things we asked him to do. He did a good job."
Robinson said they expect Williams to make a full recovery and "be able to give us those things that we saw when he was coming out of (Virginia Tech)."
But for now, Williams will be limited in his on-field work, meaning going at half speed---which isn't always easy.
"I don't have a slow down button," he said.
"Once August comes, then I'll really see where I'm at; but as of right now, I'm just doing what the trainers say. I'm not going against any word that they say.
"I'm satisfied with what is going on. The trainers tell me how satisfied they are, everyday. They didn't even think I would be where I'm at right now. For them to tell me that makes me feel good about what I've been doing."
Williams said he still needs to build up strength in the knee but feels comfortable enough to handle the drills he's allowed to do.
"It was cool to get the support and the hoorahs from (my teammates) but I didn't really surprise myself. It felt good, almost brought a tear to my eye," he said with a smile.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.