Updated May 23, 2012 - 3:31 pm
Cards Ryan Williams cleared for limited activity
Ryan Williams, recovering from right knee surgery, was given the green light for limited activity. He spent a portion of the second day of OTAs in both team (receiving handoffs) and individual drills (working on footwork) before retreating back to the sideline to work with the training staff.
"I think I surprised some people but I didn't surprise myself," he said. "To be squatting close to 400 (pounds), I should be able to do little things like that out there."
Again, it wasn't much but it was his first real football work since last August when he was carted off the field during a preseason game in Green Bay after tearing his patellar tendon.
"It was good to see him back out there just doing some football movements," said running backs coach Tommie Robinson. "Ryan did well within the things we asked him to do. He did a good job."
Robinson said they expect Williams to make a full recovery and "be able to give us those things that we saw when he was coming out of (Virginia Tech)."
But for now, Williams will be limited in his on-field work, meaning going at half speed---which isn't always easy.
"I don't have a slow down button," he said.
"Once August comes, then I'll really see where I'm at; but as of right now, I'm just doing what the trainers say. I'm not going against any word that they say.
"I'm satisfied with what is going on. The trainers tell me how satisfied they are, everyday. They didn't even think I would be where I'm at right now. For them to tell me that makes me feel good about what I've been doing."
Williams said he still needs to build up strength in the knee but feels comfortable enough to handle the drills he's allowed to do.
"It was cool to get the support and the hoorahs from (my teammates) but I didn't really surprise myself. It felt good, almost brought a tear to my eye," he said with a smile.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.