Updated May 23, 2012 - 3:31 pm
Cards Ryan Williams cleared for limited activity
Ryan Williams, recovering from right knee surgery, was given the green light for limited activity. He spent a portion of the second day of OTAs in both team (receiving handoffs) and individual drills (working on footwork) before retreating back to the sideline to work with the training staff.
"I think I surprised some people but I didn't surprise myself," he said. "To be squatting close to 400 (pounds), I should be able to do little things like that out there."
Again, it wasn't much but it was his first real football work since last August when he was carted off the field during a preseason game in Green Bay after tearing his patellar tendon.
"It was good to see him back out there just doing some football movements," said running backs coach Tommie Robinson. "Ryan did well within the things we asked him to do. He did a good job."
Robinson said they expect Williams to make a full recovery and "be able to give us those things that we saw when he was coming out of (Virginia Tech)."
But for now, Williams will be limited in his on-field work, meaning going at half speed---which isn't always easy.
"I don't have a slow down button," he said.
"Once August comes, then I'll really see where I'm at; but as of right now, I'm just doing what the trainers say. I'm not going against any word that they say.
"I'm satisfied with what is going on. The trainers tell me how satisfied they are, everyday. They didn't even think I would be where I'm at right now. For them to tell me that makes me feel good about what I've been doing."
Williams said he still needs to build up strength in the knee but feels comfortable enough to handle the drills he's allowed to do.
"It was cool to get the support and the hoorahs from (my teammates) but I didn't really surprise myself. It felt good, almost brought a tear to my eye," he said with a smile.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?