Updated May 24, 2012 - 5:16 pm
Skelton and Kolb battle on the field, are friends off it
Sure, he wants the starting QB job, but part of his audition for the role involves trying to help Kolb, too.
Where else does a job applicant do his best to help his competition?
"You might be training your replacement in another job, but here you're feeding back and forth off of each other, you're bouncing ideas off of each other," Skelton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "You take something from the meeting room that maybe you missed and the other guy got and he'll help you out on the field."
So, as it turns out, while Skelton and Kolb are competing for the same job, there's really no rivalry. They're both Cardinals and they're both…friends.
"We go golfing on Tuesdays, we go out afterwards and have some wings and stuff," Skelton said. "We just have a great dynamic in our quarterback room with all four guys that are there now."
The other QBs Skelton is referencing are veteran Richard Bartel and rookie Ryan Lindley, neither of whom figure to go anywhere near the starting job this season.
"Whenever you're competing you always want to put your best foot forward," he said. "You always want to put your best work on film and stuff.
"It's a grind; I know Kevin's pushing, and I'm pushing."
They're both pushing for the same job now, and once a winner is determined the "loser" will then turn his attention to pushing the starter to be better.
Which, no matter who plays which role, should not be a problem for these two.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.