Updated May 24, 2012 - 5:16 pm
Skelton and Kolb battle on the field, are friends off it
Sure, he wants the starting QB job, but part of his audition for the role involves trying to help Kolb, too.
Where else does a job applicant do his best to help his competition?
"You might be training your replacement in another job, but here you're feeding back and forth off of each other, you're bouncing ideas off of each other," Skelton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "You take something from the meeting room that maybe you missed and the other guy got and he'll help you out on the field."
So, as it turns out, while Skelton and Kolb are competing for the same job, there's really no rivalry. They're both Cardinals and they're both…friends.
"We go golfing on Tuesdays, we go out afterwards and have some wings and stuff," Skelton said. "We just have a great dynamic in our quarterback room with all four guys that are there now."
The other QBs Skelton is referencing are veteran Richard Bartel and rookie Ryan Lindley, neither of whom figure to go anywhere near the starting job this season.
"Whenever you're competing you always want to put your best foot forward," he said. "You always want to put your best work on film and stuff.
"It's a grind; I know Kevin's pushing, and I'm pushing."
They're both pushing for the same job now, and once a winner is determined the "loser" will then turn his attention to pushing the starter to be better.
Which, no matter who plays which role, should not be a problem for these two.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.