Updated May 24, 2012 - 5:16 pm
Skelton and Kolb battle on the field, are friends off it
Sure, he wants the starting QB job, but part of his audition for the role involves trying to help Kolb, too.
Where else does a job applicant do his best to help his competition?
"You might be training your replacement in another job, but here you're feeding back and forth off of each other, you're bouncing ideas off of each other," Skelton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "You take something from the meeting room that maybe you missed and the other guy got and he'll help you out on the field."
So, as it turns out, while Skelton and Kolb are competing for the same job, there's really no rivalry. They're both Cardinals and they're both…friends.
"We go golfing on Tuesdays, we go out afterwards and have some wings and stuff," Skelton said. "We just have a great dynamic in our quarterback room with all four guys that are there now."
The other QBs Skelton is referencing are veteran Richard Bartel and rookie Ryan Lindley, neither of whom figure to go anywhere near the starting job this season.
"Whenever you're competing you always want to put your best foot forward," he said. "You always want to put your best work on film and stuff.
"It's a grind; I know Kevin's pushing, and I'm pushing."
They're both pushing for the same job now, and once a winner is determined the "loser" will then turn his attention to pushing the starter to be better.
Which, no matter who plays which role, should not be a problem for these two.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.