Skelton and Kolb battle on the field, are friends off it
Sure, he wants the starting QB job, but part of his audition for the role involves trying to help Kolb, too.
Where else does a job applicant do his best to help his competition?
"You might be training your replacement in another job, but here you're feeding back and forth off of each other, you're bouncing ideas off of each other," Skelton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "You take something from the meeting room that maybe you missed and the other guy got and he'll help you out on the field."
So, as it turns out, while Skelton and Kolb are competing for the same job, there's really no rivalry. They're both Cardinals and they're both…friends.
"We go golfing on Tuesdays, we go out afterwards and have some wings and stuff," Skelton said. "We just have a great dynamic in our quarterback room with all four guys that are there now."
The other QBs Skelton is referencing are veteran Richard Bartel and rookie Ryan Lindley, neither of whom figure to go anywhere near the starting job this season.
"Whenever you're competing you always want to put your best foot forward," he said. "You always want to put your best work on film and stuff.
"It's a grind; I know Kevin's pushing, and I'm pushing."
They're both pushing for the same job now, and once a winner is determined the "loser" will then turn his attention to pushing the starter to be better.
Which, no matter who plays which role, should not be a problem for these two.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.