Updated May 29, 2012 - 2:44 pm
Cardinals DT Williams confident returning from injury
A first round pick out of Tennessee in 2010, Williams broke his left arm in a November loss to the 49ers.
Williams is back on the field for OTAs now, and says he's feeling no ill effects from the injury.
"No bad pain, no nothing," he said. "Really just trying to get used to using it again and just getting back to doing what I used to do with it."
Much is expected of Williams this season, as he will be asked to anchor the middle of the defensive line. His contributions won't often show up in the box score, but his impact could be felt by everyone else on the defensive side of the ball.
The good news, besides Williams' recovery, is the fact that he's in shape now, after having issues with his weight early in his career. Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said Williams ran well Tuesday, which bodes well for him going forward.
"I am pleased with where Dan is right now and he's got to stay focused and keep it that way starting into training camp," Whisenhunt said.
That's for a few months down the road, so in the meantime Williams plans on using OTAs as a chance to not only work his way back into shape, but learn a defense that was new to the team last season.
"You get more in depth on the defense," he said. "Instead of just knowing what I'm supposed to do this year, I know what [Darnell Dockett], [Calais Campbell], also I know what [Daryl Washington] and [Paris Lenon] are doing behind me.
"It gives me a chance to study a little bit more and get a little bit more familiar with the defense."
That should only help a player who the team will lean heavily on this season.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.