Updated May 30, 2012 - 12:01 am
Cardinals Greg Toler 'taking it one day at a time'
Not bad considering he's nine months removed from tearing the ACL in his left knee and there are still two months before the start of training camp.
Toler, who suffered the season-ending injury in the Cardinals third preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, was on the field last week for the start of OTAs. This week he's added to his workload with additional reps.
"We're not trying to be ready for OTAs," he said Tuesday. "We're looking towards September and training camp."
Toler, about to enter his fourth NFL season as one of the club's top cornerbacks, has impressed the coaching staff thus far.
"We're very pleased with his progress," said defensive backs coach Louie Cioffi. "Everything we've asked him to do he's passed with flying colors.
"As you can see [Tuesday], he was running deep with the guys again. He made a nice play on the ball (to Larry Fitzgerald) down the field. We're very happy with where he is right now."
Toler admits he's still experiencing some soreness with the knee, especially on days when he increases his rehab; but so far, no pain.
"[The knee] feels pretty good," he said. "Just taking it one day at a time. This brace is kind of hard getting used to. I try to ignore it and just work on my technique and learn the playbook."
The brace will be on "until they tell me I can take it off," which may not be until training camp.
"When I try to go top-end speed, coming out of my break [the brace] kind of limits me from kicking heal-toe-heal- toe. I just got to work through that. It makes me stay technique sound because I don't have my full range without the brace yet."
Even with the brace on Toler is making noise, trying to return to the player he was in 2010 when he started 13 of 16 games at right cornerback.
"It's hard to not give him more (reps) after what we saw him do last week but he's on a pretty strict play count," explained head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"We're obviously focusing more on making sure he's ready to go in training camp. But I'm really impressed with what I've seen him do in practice. He looks good."
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.