Updated May 30, 2012 - 12:01 am
Cardinals Greg Toler 'taking it one day at a time'
Not bad considering he's nine months removed from tearing the ACL in his left knee and there are still two months before the start of training camp.
Toler, who suffered the season-ending injury in the Cardinals third preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, was on the field last week for the start of OTAs. This week he's added to his workload with additional reps.
"We're not trying to be ready for OTAs," he said Tuesday. "We're looking towards September and training camp."
Toler, about to enter his fourth NFL season as one of the club's top cornerbacks, has impressed the coaching staff thus far.
"We're very pleased with his progress," said defensive backs coach Louie Cioffi. "Everything we've asked him to do he's passed with flying colors.
"As you can see [Tuesday], he was running deep with the guys again. He made a nice play on the ball (to Larry Fitzgerald) down the field. We're very happy with where he is right now."
Toler admits he's still experiencing some soreness with the knee, especially on days when he increases his rehab; but so far, no pain.
"[The knee] feels pretty good," he said. "Just taking it one day at a time. This brace is kind of hard getting used to. I try to ignore it and just work on my technique and learn the playbook."
The brace will be on "until they tell me I can take it off," which may not be until training camp.
"When I try to go top-end speed, coming out of my break [the brace] kind of limits me from kicking heal-toe-heal- toe. I just got to work through that. It makes me stay technique sound because I don't have my full range without the brace yet."
Even with the brace on Toler is making noise, trying to return to the player he was in 2010 when he started 13 of 16 games at right cornerback.
"It's hard to not give him more (reps) after what we saw him do last week but he's on a pretty strict play count," explained head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"We're obviously focusing more on making sure he's ready to go in training camp. But I'm really impressed with what I've seen him do in practice. He looks good."
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!