Quentin Groves: Arizona is the right fit for me
"The guys have welcomed me with open arms," he said following OTAs Wednesday, just his second day on the field with the Cardinals.
"[I] had a little jawing session today with (Larry) Fitzgerald; and me and (Darnell) Dockett kind of got into it over what college was the best: Florida State or Auburn. We all know that answer: Auburn."
The Cardinals signed the veteran free agent late last week to add depth at the linebacker position, particularly outside linebacker.
"We're very fortunate that we get him in here now," said head coach Ken Whisenhunt, "and can get him acclimated to the defense so when we get to training camp we can really see what he does when he gets the pads on.
"This guy is a talented football player. I think he's a good fit for our defensive scheme---whether it's at end as a pass rusher in the sub (package) or as an outside linebacker. He brings an element of potential pass rush, which you can never have enough of."
Groves played the past two seasons in Oakland but was not re-signed by the Raiders.
He said he had trips scheduled to Baltimore and Cincinnati before signing with Arizona. "As I was here (visiting the Cardinals), Cincinnati was trying to offer me."
"This is what I do and this is what I am. I'm not a 4-3 in-the-box linebacker. I played it for two years in Oakland because that's what the job called for but at the end of the day I love to rush the quarterback and get sacks."
Groves has 2.5 sacks in his 63-game NFL career but none since his first season as a second round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2008. He was traded to Oakland in 2010. He played in all 16 games last season, including making three starts.
Groves said he was "a fish-out-of-water" trying to play in a system that didn't fit him in Oakland.
"I made it work. We made it work. I played two years in the system.
"I thank Oakland for everything they did but at the same time it wasn't the right fit for me. I think Arizona is the right fit for me. I thank them for having me and thank them for signing me."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.