Updated May 30, 2012 - 3:50 pm
Quentin Groves: Arizona is the right fit for me
"The guys have welcomed me with open arms," he said following OTAs Wednesday, just his second day on the field with the Cardinals.
"[I] had a little jawing session today with (Larry) Fitzgerald; and me and (Darnell) Dockett kind of got into it over what college was the best: Florida State or Auburn. We all know that answer: Auburn."
The Cardinals signed the veteran free agent late last week to add depth at the linebacker position, particularly outside linebacker.
"We're very fortunate that we get him in here now," said head coach Ken Whisenhunt, "and can get him acclimated to the defense so when we get to training camp we can really see what he does when he gets the pads on.
"This guy is a talented football player. I think he's a good fit for our defensive scheme---whether it's at end as a pass rusher in the sub (package) or as an outside linebacker. He brings an element of potential pass rush, which you can never have enough of."
Groves played the past two seasons in Oakland but was not re-signed by the Raiders.
He said he had trips scheduled to Baltimore and Cincinnati before signing with Arizona. "As I was here (visiting the Cardinals), Cincinnati was trying to offer me."
"This is what I do and this is what I am. I'm not a 4-3 in-the-box linebacker. I played it for two years in Oakland because that's what the job called for but at the end of the day I love to rush the quarterback and get sacks."
Groves has 2.5 sacks in his 63-game NFL career but none since his first season as a second round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2008. He was traded to Oakland in 2010. He played in all 16 games last season, including making three starts.
Groves said he was "a fish-out-of-water" trying to play in a system that didn't fit him in Oakland.
"I made it work. We made it work. I played two years in the system.
"I thank Oakland for everything they did but at the same time it wasn't the right fit for me. I think Arizona is the right fit for me. I thank them for having me and thank them for signing me."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b