Updated May 31, 2012 - 4:20 pm
Cardinals coach: 'I want Kevin to be our quarterback'
As you are well aware, the two are in what Whisenhunt is calling a "competition" for the starting job, and as far as we know it will be a while before a winner is determined.
There are some who feel the amount of work the passers are getting in OTAs -- a 2+ months away from training camp and just more than three months from the regular season opener -- is indicative of who may be in the lead.
Not so fast.
"I'd have to go back and chart exactly the plays," Whisenhunt said Thursday of how the work has been divided. "It might be 51 for one and 49 for the other, or something like that, but I don't think there's a great discrepancy."
In other words, there is not much to see here, folks.
In fact, for those who think the Cardinals will give an edge to Kolb because of what the team gave up to get him and invested in him, Whisenhunt has a message.
Whisenhunt said there have been plenty of players who entered the league as free agents or with little fanfare who ended up being pretty good football players.
"I'll be honest with you and say I obviously know how much we invested in Kevin," Whisenhunt said. "I want Kevin to be successful, I want him to be our quarterback, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that John Skelton worked pretty hard and did a good job when he was in there playing, too.
"I think he's earned the right to compete for that spot."
Which means Whisenhunt will not stray from his usual practice of letting players earn jobs on the field.
"I've never really, whether it's been here or in other places, looked at a player based on what he was making and tried to decide, give him the leg up."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.