Cardinals coach: 'I want Kevin to be our quarterback'
As you are well aware, the two are in what Whisenhunt is calling a "competition" for the starting job, and as far as we know it will be a while before a winner is determined.
There are some who feel the amount of work the passers are getting in OTAs -- a 2+ months away from training camp and just more than three months from the regular season opener -- is indicative of who may be in the lead.
Not so fast.
"I'd have to go back and chart exactly the plays," Whisenhunt said Thursday of how the work has been divided. "It might be 51 for one and 49 for the other, or something like that, but I don't think there's a great discrepancy."
In other words, there is not much to see here, folks.
In fact, for those who think the Cardinals will give an edge to Kolb because of what the team gave up to get him and invested in him, Whisenhunt has a message.
Whisenhunt said there have been plenty of players who entered the league as free agents or with little fanfare who ended up being pretty good football players.
"I'll be honest with you and say I obviously know how much we invested in Kevin," Whisenhunt said. "I want Kevin to be successful, I want him to be our quarterback, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that John Skelton worked pretty hard and did a good job when he was in there playing, too.
"I think he's earned the right to compete for that spot."
Which means Whisenhunt will not stray from his usual practice of letting players earn jobs on the field.
"I've never really, whether it's been here or in other places, looked at a player based on what he was making and tried to decide, give him the leg up."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.