Updated Jun 4, 2012 - 3:32 pm
Cardinals LB Washington thriving in OTAs
The former TCU Horned Frog is getting more familiar with the defensive scheme employed by second-year coordinator Ray Horton thanks in part to the organized team activities (OTAs) taking place at the team's training facility in Tempe. Last season's labor lockout wiped out all OTAs and hampered teams who were grooming new coordinators, like the Cardinals.
Washington says that these workouts will go a long way toward building team camaraderie when the games actually count.
"Getting guys on the same page and making sure we trust one another on the field, and that the other person is going to do their job so we don't have to think that much," Washington said Monday. "When you have guys that are willing to compete and play hard for one another, you have a good team."
After leading the Cardinals with 107 total tackles in 2011, Washington has grown into a leadership position, but he's also growing physically.
"When I first came in, I was about 228-230 (pounds)," he explained. "The second year I went from 232 to 235 and now, I weighed in at 243. It's a big difference for me -- getting bigger, better and smarter; more knowledgeable with the business and with the plays and players.
"It's a big difference, but it's a good difference."
Washington is by no means a grizzled veteran, but he is getting more comfortable during the OTAs in lending his experience to the younger players on the roster.
"I don't say too much to them, but I make sure I'm encouraging them and make sure I teach them the ropes like the older guys did for me when I first came in."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.