Updated Jun 12, 2012 - 1:24 pm
Cardinals' Holliday 'still has that itch'
Among that exclusive club is Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday, who is entering his second season in the desert and 15th year in the league.
After re-signing with the Cardinals Monday, Holliday was on the field Tuesday for the team's mini-camp practice in Tempe. The 36-year-old participated in individual drills and worked on the sideline during the team portion of practice.
And after all the battles in the trenches, the veteran says he still has a desire to play the game.
"I still have that itch," Holliday said Tuesday. "I'm still enjoying it, still feel that I can compete at a high level and we'll see what happens with the rest of this preseason going into the regular season."
Holliday, whom the Cardinals acquired from Washington in the Tim Hightower trade during training camp last summer, played in 16 games, compiling 14 tackles for Arizona in 2011.
The veteran envisions a role similar to the one he filled last season -- a role that included plenty of tutoring.
"I'll try to coach the guys up as much as I can and help bring them along and at the same time, when my number is called, just be ready to make plays."
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt is also happy to see number 91 back with the Cardinals.
"He's a good leader, a good mentor for these young guys," Whisenhunt said. "I know he's meant a lot to Dan [Williams] and Calais [Campbell] and David Carter, and to have him back is important.
"I think he understands his role and I know that we can count on him, so those are all valuable points."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?