Updated Jun 12, 2012 - 1:24 pm
Cardinals' Holliday 'still has that itch'
Among that exclusive club is Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday, who is entering his second season in the desert and 15th year in the league.
After re-signing with the Cardinals Monday, Holliday was on the field Tuesday for the team's mini-camp practice in Tempe. The 36-year-old participated in individual drills and worked on the sideline during the team portion of practice.
And after all the battles in the trenches, the veteran says he still has a desire to play the game.
"I still have that itch," Holliday said Tuesday. "I'm still enjoying it, still feel that I can compete at a high level and we'll see what happens with the rest of this preseason going into the regular season."
Holliday, whom the Cardinals acquired from Washington in the Tim Hightower trade during training camp last summer, played in 16 games, compiling 14 tackles for Arizona in 2011.
The veteran envisions a role similar to the one he filled last season -- a role that included plenty of tutoring.
"I'll try to coach the guys up as much as I can and help bring them along and at the same time, when my number is called, just be ready to make plays."
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt is also happy to see number 91 back with the Cardinals.
"He's a good leader, a good mentor for these young guys," Whisenhunt said. "I know he's meant a lot to Dan [Williams] and Calais [Campbell] and David Carter, and to have him back is important.
"I think he understands his role and I know that we can count on him, so those are all valuable points."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.