Cardinals' Holliday 'still has that itch'
Among that exclusive club is Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday, who is entering his second season in the desert and 15th year in the league.
After re-signing with the Cardinals Monday, Holliday was on the field Tuesday for the team's mini-camp practice in Tempe. The 36-year-old participated in individual drills and worked on the sideline during the team portion of practice.
And after all the battles in the trenches, the veteran says he still has a desire to play the game.
"I still have that itch," Holliday said Tuesday. "I'm still enjoying it, still feel that I can compete at a high level and we'll see what happens with the rest of this preseason going into the regular season."
Holliday, whom the Cardinals acquired from Washington in the Tim Hightower trade during training camp last summer, played in 16 games, compiling 14 tackles for Arizona in 2011.
The veteran envisions a role similar to the one he filled last season -- a role that included plenty of tutoring.
"I'll try to coach the guys up as much as I can and help bring them along and at the same time, when my number is called, just be ready to make plays."
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt is also happy to see number 91 back with the Cardinals.
"He's a good leader, a good mentor for these young guys," Whisenhunt said. "I know he's meant a lot to Dan [Williams] and Calais [Campbell] and David Carter, and to have him back is important.
"I think he understands his role and I know that we can count on him, so those are all valuable points."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.