Updated Jun 12, 2012 - 4:22 pm
First Super Bowl title not in store for Cardinals?
They won seven of their last nine games in 2011. They have Larry Fitzgerald. They have an emerging defense. They play in a weak division.
Did we mention they have Larry Fitzgerald?
Anyway, even with all the positives, there are still reasons to be skeptical, which must be why NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal, in an article titled Who's next in line to win first Super Bowl title?, has the Cardinals in a group with the Vikings, Titans, Browns and Jaguars under the header "Nothing on the Horizon."
I've never been more sad in a Super Bowl locker room than when I talked to the Cardinals. They were all so hopeful, but I couldn't help but think that they would never get back to that point. Without a quality quarterback, they are as far away as ever. Things change fast in the NFL, but its hard to imagine these teams as serious Super Bowl contenders in the next two years.
Well Gregg, we were all pretty sad after the Super Bowl, and we understand that without good QB play the Cards will have a hard time making it back.
Still, putting them on the same level as the Jaguars and Browns? Really? The Jaguars and Browns?!
But that's neither here nor there. The point is the Cardinals, for all that there is to be excited about, are still an underdog in many peoples' eyes.
Just as they were in 2008 before, you know, that whole Super Bowl thing happened.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.