Updated Jun 12, 2012 - 4:22 pm
First Super Bowl title not in store for Cardinals?
They won seven of their last nine games in 2011. They have Larry Fitzgerald. They have an emerging defense. They play in a weak division.
Did we mention they have Larry Fitzgerald?
Anyway, even with all the positives, there are still reasons to be skeptical, which must be why NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal, in an article titled Who's next in line to win first Super Bowl title?, has the Cardinals in a group with the Vikings, Titans, Browns and Jaguars under the header "Nothing on the Horizon."
I've never been more sad in a Super Bowl locker room than when I talked to the Cardinals. They were all so hopeful, but I couldn't help but think that they would never get back to that point. Without a quality quarterback, they are as far away as ever. Things change fast in the NFL, but its hard to imagine these teams as serious Super Bowl contenders in the next two years.
Well Gregg, we were all pretty sad after the Super Bowl, and we understand that without good QB play the Cards will have a hard time making it back.
Still, putting them on the same level as the Jaguars and Browns? Really? The Jaguars and Browns?!
But that's neither here nor there. The point is the Cardinals, for all that there is to be excited about, are still an underdog in many peoples' eyes.
Just as they were in 2008 before, you know, that whole Super Bowl thing happened.
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Arizona Cardinals' Alex Okafor's transition to linebacker is complete
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi