Cardinals QB battle on national radar
The two are expected to continue their competition for the team's starting QB role all through training camp, with neither supposedly having an edge as of now.
It's a situation worth keeping an eye on, that's for sure, and as Bill Barnwell of Grantland.com puts it, the Arizona job is fifth on the list of The Top Battles to Be QB1.
Once the Cardinals financially committed to keeping Kevin Kolb on the roster this year, the issue of actually playing him became a sunk cost. At this point, they need to just play whichever quarterback actually looks best in camp. That should favor Kolb, who looks like a legitimate NFL starter when there's a half-speed pass rush bearing down on him, but he'll also have to stay healthy for the next three months to ensure that he lines up in September. Health might be John Skelton's biggest asset in this competition.
While the Cardinals may say otherwise, most feel it is Kolb's job to lose. The team is heavily invested in the former Eagle, and must figure out if he's capable of leading this team back to the postseason.
Unfortunately, there's a good chance we won't know anything until the games start. Kolb looked good in camp last year, too, and the comment Barnwell makes of "when there's a half-speed pass rush bearing down on him" is legit.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Kolb was sacked on 30 of 115 drop backs last season, a percentage that was second-worst in the NFL.
However, they note, he had the 11th-best TD:INT ratio when pressured and the 10th-best completion percentage, signifying that when he was actually able to get rid of the ball good things tended to happen.
Of course, the biggest thing that could potentially hold Kolb back are injuries. He played in just nine games (finishing eight) last season, missing time due to turf toe and a concussion.
But the hope is those issues are in the past. The Cardinals do not need to name a starter until September 7, giving Coach Whisenhunt and staff plenty of time to make a decision.
Will it be Kolb? How about Skelton? Arizona is waiting for an answer and, apparently, we're not alone.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.