Updated Jun 13, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Whisenhunt wanted QB resolution two years ago
Tuesday, it was Kevin Kolb running with the ones.
The alternating between the two quarterbacks sharing first team reps has been a constant throughout the team's OTAs and minicamp practices.
The competition will continue throughout training camp next month in Flagstaff as the Cardinals get ready for their season opener September 7 against Seattle at University of Phoenix Stadium.
And while the quarterback competition will certainly be the main focus surrounding the team for the next two and a half months, head coach Ken Whisenhunt wishes it didn't have to be.
"If it was up to me, I would have preferred that we had a quarterback resolution two years ago," Whisenhunt said Wednesday. "But obviously that hasn't happened."
But the desire to have a solution won't press the sixth- year head coach into making a decision until he's ready to name a starter.
"When it happens, it happens," he said. "The guys are working hard and that's all you can ask of them. They're getting better at the things we're asking them to do. They're going to have to go through different tests -- the next stage is going to be being able to do that in training camp and then being able to do that in the preseason games."
Despite the uncertainty concerning the identity of the quarterback that will be the opening day starter, Whisenhunt is okay with either Kolb and Skelton potentially filling that role.
"I feel comfortable with the fact that we have guys that can do that, and more of a known quantity maybe than we've had before.
"You've got to let this competition play out honestly, it's got to be a fair competition. I think our players understand that, and I'm excited to see how it goes."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.