Updated Jun 13, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Whisenhunt wanted QB resolution two years ago
Tuesday, it was Kevin Kolb running with the ones.
The alternating between the two quarterbacks sharing first team reps has been a constant throughout the team's OTAs and minicamp practices.
The competition will continue throughout training camp next month in Flagstaff as the Cardinals get ready for their season opener September 7 against Seattle at University of Phoenix Stadium.
And while the quarterback competition will certainly be the main focus surrounding the team for the next two and a half months, head coach Ken Whisenhunt wishes it didn't have to be.
"If it was up to me, I would have preferred that we had a quarterback resolution two years ago," Whisenhunt said Wednesday. "But obviously that hasn't happened."
But the desire to have a solution won't press the sixth- year head coach into making a decision until he's ready to name a starter.
"When it happens, it happens," he said. "The guys are working hard and that's all you can ask of them. They're getting better at the things we're asking them to do. They're going to have to go through different tests -- the next stage is going to be being able to do that in training camp and then being able to do that in the preseason games."
Despite the uncertainty concerning the identity of the quarterback that will be the opening day starter, Whisenhunt is okay with either Kolb and Skelton potentially filling that role.
"I feel comfortable with the fact that we have guys that can do that, and more of a known quantity maybe than we've had before.
"You've got to let this competition play out honestly, it's got to be a fair competition. I think our players understand that, and I'm excited to see how it goes."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.