Updated Jun 13, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Whisenhunt wanted QB resolution two years ago
Tuesday, it was Kevin Kolb running with the ones.
The alternating between the two quarterbacks sharing first team reps has been a constant throughout the team's OTAs and minicamp practices.
The competition will continue throughout training camp next month in Flagstaff as the Cardinals get ready for their season opener September 7 against Seattle at University of Phoenix Stadium.
And while the quarterback competition will certainly be the main focus surrounding the team for the next two and a half months, head coach Ken Whisenhunt wishes it didn't have to be.
"If it was up to me, I would have preferred that we had a quarterback resolution two years ago," Whisenhunt said Wednesday. "But obviously that hasn't happened."
But the desire to have a solution won't press the sixth- year head coach into making a decision until he's ready to name a starter.
"When it happens, it happens," he said. "The guys are working hard and that's all you can ask of them. They're getting better at the things we're asking them to do. They're going to have to go through different tests -- the next stage is going to be being able to do that in training camp and then being able to do that in the preseason games."
Despite the uncertainty concerning the identity of the quarterback that will be the opening day starter, Whisenhunt is okay with either Kolb and Skelton potentially filling that role.
"I feel comfortable with the fact that we have guys that can do that, and more of a known quantity maybe than we've had before.
"You've got to let this competition play out honestly, it's got to be a fair competition. I think our players understand that, and I'm excited to see how it goes."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.