Updated Jun 14, 2012 - 10:32 pm
Daryl Washington confident after off-season workouts
While most of the focus for the Cardinals this off-season has been on the quarterback battle between Kevin Kolb and John Skelton, third-year linebacker Daryl Washington knows just how crucial it was for the defense to get its first full off-season completed under second-year Defensive Coordinator Ray Horton.
"His scheme works, we all trust it and we're ready to go," Washington said regarding Horton.
Horton was hired in February of 2011, but because of the lockout was not given much time to implement his defensive scheme going into last season.
"I'm a lot more confident with the defense. I think a lot of guys are more confident with the defense," Washington told media after the final practice of the offseason. "Now we can just play rather than think so much."
The team will now go their separate ways until late July when they regroup in Flagstaff for the start of training camp.
"It's still a progression, obviously. I think OTAs and minicamp gave us a little help in getting to that point of training camp," Washington said. "I think when training camp comes we'll be a lot more confident."
Washington plans to visit with family during the break and let his body rest before training camp and another taxing season.
After a strong finish to last season the defensive unit hopes to build on that momentum going into training camp, but Washington knows it won't come without struggles.
"It's going to be a challenging year for us with the outside linebackers and a lot of new guys but I think they'll pick it up as we go along with training camp," said Washington. "Having this time off will definitely help rest the body, so we'll be fine."
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.