Tale of the tape: NFL analyst chooses Skelton over Kolb
You can count NFL.com's Bucky Brooks among those with an opinion, though his may be worth a little more than some, since he broke down the film before coming to a conclusion.
On Kolb, the analyst for the NFL network said there is little doubt the QB's inexperience in the team's offense contributed to his struggles.
Without the benefit of minicamps and OTAs to work out the kinks, Kolb suffered through his growing pains during game action. For instance, he didn't appear to have a complete mastery of the Cardinals' passing game, so he would struggle moving on to his second or third read in the progression when the primary target was covered. As a result, he took a number of hits and sacks within the pocket, and appeared jumpy when rushers closed.
Brooks adds that Kolb "must rediscover his nerve within the pocket" if he is to turn into the QB the Cardinals thought they were getting.
As for Skelton, Brooks notes that the QB has "significantly improved his mechanics" since entering the NFL as a fifth-round pick from Fordham. That has helped the QB get over struggles with accuracy -- to an extent, of course -- which bodes well for his future.
This is a huge development for the Cardinals because it allows Whisenhunt to incorporate square-ins, seam routes and skinny posts into the game plan to take advantage of the superior size, strength and physicality of his receiving corps.
Brooks says Kolb's status as the big-time acquisition with a big contract will give him first crack at the job, saying he "must show a better mastery of the scheme and play with confidence expected from a franchise-caliber quarterback."
But I don't believe Kolb can make a dramatic turnaround with his performance, so I would opt for Skelton in this competition. We will soon see if Whisenhunt agrees with my assessment.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.