Cards lineman: Whoever starts, we benefit
Unfortunately, nobody is really sure whether Kevin Kolb or John Skelton has the inside track towards landing the starting gig.
Offensive lineman Daryn Colledge joined Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo to give his thoughts on the quarterback battle, saying that regardless of who starts, having both players on the team is a huge benefit.
"Both guys are extremely talented," said Colledge. "We think both guys can win the game and I think we're happy with whichever one [is starting] and we're happy to have the other one backing him up.
"We want guys that want to compete and guys that want to win. We think both guys can do that."
A fairly optimistic outlook by Mr. Colledge can't negate how much pressure is on Kolb, who performed well-below expectations after signing a five-year contract worth $63 million.
Once thought to be the new franchise quarterback, Kolb went 1-6 while battling injuries throughout the 2011 season, paving the way for backup Skelton to take his place on the field. Skelton finished the season with a less than adequate 54.9% completion percentage and 11 touchdowns to 14 interceptions, but he did lead the Cardinals to six wins through late-game heroics.
But even if Skelton produced more wins and there are rumors of him being the favorite in camp, Colledge believes Kolb deserves a fair shot at the starting job.
"I think [Kolb] was put into a terrible situation last year. We had four practices until we were in a game and he's taking a lot of shots and got some injuries and that's hard, especially for the quarterback.
"Skelton knew the offense and was able to come in and manufacture some drives that put him in a great position to make [the game] a competitive thing. I think that's a hats off to Skelton, but it's going to be a no-hold barred competition all camp."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.