Lineman: "No excuses, we must do better"
More specifically, the offensive line and its inability to protect the quarterback.
The Cardinals allowed the second-most sacks of any team last year, finishing with a grand total of 54. The sacks were highlighted by a hit on Kevin Kolb, which left the quarterback with a concussion.
Offensive lineman Daryn Colledge, now in his second year with the team, understands that the line needs to do a better job at keeping their quarterback from harm.
"No excuses from us, we've got to do better," Colledge said on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "We need to be faster in the first quarter and in the first half of all our games. Everybody can do something a little bit better to help this offense."
Colledge realizes that an offensive line's performance can be magnified when given negative results, which is why the seven-year pro would rather his unit go unnoticed and give the attention to the other players.
"We want to be the most unnoticed position on the field. We want it to be all about the guy who threw for 400-yards or the guy who ran for 200-yards. If the offensive line never gets talked about, that's great. When it's bad, our name will be first and when it's good, it's going to be everybody else."
Colledge holds the same mantra for the Cardinals as a whole, preferring to slip past teams unnoticed and catch the NFL by surprise.
"Everybody thinks we're probably the worst team in the NFL right now," said Colledge. "I hope that's what everybody thinks. We want everybody to sleep on us. We want to quietly slide into some places, start stacking up some wins and then people will start taking notice.
"We like our position right now. Everybody's on our radar."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.