Cardinals defense ahead of the offense early in camp
It sure seemed that way at the team's annual Red and White scrimmage, where an estimated 14,500 fans saw the offense muster just one touchdown drive out of 15 different offensive series.
"We came into [Saturday] saying we wanted to dominate, so that was the whole plan," safety Kerry Rhodes said.
That may have been the plan, but it led to an uneventful - even difficult to watch - afternoon, especially if you were hoping to see the Cardinals QB battle play out. John Skelton, who started the day under center, completed just two passes, while Kevin Kolb was picked off twice.
Sure, there were bright spots, as Ryan Williams ripped off the longest play of the day with an impressive run, and rookie Michael Floyd made multiple catches that made you go "oh, that's why they drafted him", but all-in-all it was a day the offense will have to learn from.
"You're going to have you ups and downs, you know, with four practices under your belt," Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb said. "Offensively, as a whole, we didn't do real well.
"But there's things to build on. We'll look at the film and move forward."
Larry Fitzgerald, who had a fairly quiet afternoon, feels like there is no area the team cannot afford to improve in.
"Overall execution, we need to pick it up," the Pro Bowler said. "We obviously need to complete more passes when we get opportunities, we need to protect, we need to run block, we need to to do everything."
The good news is there is plenty of time for those improvements to happen. The season opener is still six weeks away, and even though they may not have shown in Saturday, you know there are weapons on the offensive side of the ball.
And, for the real optimist, the better news may be the idea that the defense dominating could be a sign that the group is ready to pick up right where it left off last season, when it emerged as one of the NFL's better units.
"We're a very talented team, well coached, and I feel like if we play our game we can shut down anybody," Campbell said.
Including his own team.
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br