Cards coach: QB competition all about who will win
While each signal caller made some nice throws, neither was consistent and each had moments that made you simply shake your head.
However, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt told ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd that the struggles are somewhat expected early in camp, each QB has shown improvement from last season, and that the starting QB job will not be won during practice anyway.
"I think it comes down to what they do in the games, and I really believe that the players want the guy that's going to give them the best chance to win, no matter what," he said.
The idea that the players have a rooting interest besides just who will play better on the field was brought up last week when NFL Network analyst and former player Willie McGinist said sources told him Skelton is the favorite among the players.
Of course, no one has stepped forward to validate McGinist's report, and ultimately Whisenhunt said it doesn't matter who the players are rooting for, so long as the man under center plays well.
"The player that's more consistent, that shows he can give you the best chance to win, that's the one that you have to go with," he said. "Because regardless of anything else, that's what the players want."
It seems Whisenhunt has a pretty good grasp on his team's mindset right now, and is not at all concerned about who the players may or may not want to see as the starter this season.
"They will accept a lot of things if that guy gives them a chance to win," he said.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.