Updated Jul 30, 2012 - 7:50 pm
Cardinals' Michael Floyd focused on earning spot
When the Arizona Cardinals drafted wideout Michael Floyd with the 13th overall pick in the first-round of this year's draft, they surely had aspirations he'd come to camp and win a starting spot opposite franchise star Larry Fitzgerald.
Luckily for the Cardinals, Floyd hasn't entered camp with any sense of entitlement. In fact, the Notre Dame standout's mentality is to stay focused on earning his keep.
"My mindset is even though you're a first round draft pick you're not guaranteed a spot," Floyd told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Monday. "This is a business and you've got to work for it."
The heralded receiver comes to camp with the raw talent and weapons necessary to make a lasting impact on this Cardinals' receiving corps and he's ready to prove his worth to the team's decision-makers.
"To be able to be in a starting position, you've got to show that you are that kind of person, showing that kind of detail of being that talented guy," Floyd said. "I am just improving every single day and hopefully I get a chance to be out there and when I am, I am going to make the most of it."
"They say guys are competing for jobs and that's exactly what it is," Floyd said. "So day in and day out, you've got to have that competitive drive to be able to go out and work as hard as you could and be the most productive when you have the opportunity to."
While Floyd works to tweak and improve his game, the rookie plans to lean on Larry Fitzgerald significantly as a mentor, in an effort to elevate his performance to the next level.
"I think when you have a guy on the team in your position that's one of the best in the game, if not the best, and has experience, I think the only thing you can do is feed off of him, be in his back pocket and just learn from him and see how he does it, how it is to be a real pro," Floyd said.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.