Cardinals' Michael Floyd focused on earning spot
When the Arizona Cardinals drafted wideout Michael Floyd with the 13th overall pick in the first-round of this year's draft, they surely had aspirations he'd come to camp and win a starting spot opposite franchise star Larry Fitzgerald.
Luckily for the Cardinals, Floyd hasn't entered camp with any sense of entitlement. In fact, the Notre Dame standout's mentality is to stay focused on earning his keep.
"My mindset is even though you're a first round draft pick you're not guaranteed a spot," Floyd told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Monday. "This is a business and you've got to work for it."
The heralded receiver comes to camp with the raw talent and weapons necessary to make a lasting impact on this Cardinals' receiving corps and he's ready to prove his worth to the team's decision-makers.
"To be able to be in a starting position, you've got to show that you are that kind of person, showing that kind of detail of being that talented guy," Floyd said. "I am just improving every single day and hopefully I get a chance to be out there and when I am, I am going to make the most of it."
"They say guys are competing for jobs and that's exactly what it is," Floyd said. "So day in and day out, you've got to have that competitive drive to be able to go out and work as hard as you could and be the most productive when you have the opportunity to."
While Floyd works to tweak and improve his game, the rookie plans to lean on Larry Fitzgerald significantly as a mentor, in an effort to elevate his performance to the next level.
"I think when you have a guy on the team in your position that's one of the best in the game, if not the best, and has experience, I think the only thing you can do is feed off of him, be in his back pocket and just learn from him and see how he does it, how it is to be a real pro," Floyd said.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.