Former Sun Devil Elder honored to wear No. 42
However, he's the only one wearing No. 42.
Elder, of course, knows the history of the number, as ASU legend Pat Tillman donned that jersey while in college before switching to number 40 in the pros. So to have it as a Cardinal is, well, special.
"I didn't pick this number; it was a coincidence," Elder said. "But I'm honored to wear this number. Pat Tillman is a great person who did everything for Arizona State and the state, so it's an honor."
Elder said he was shocked when he got it, and given that he came from a college program where no one will ever wear that number again, that can be expected.
If Elder hopes to keep the number on a red and white uniform all throughout the preseason and into the regular season he'll have to pick things up rather quickly, as undrafted free agents tend to have less leeway when it comes to figuring the game out. That can be difficult for college players who, though coming off successful careers, find the NFL game to be quite a bit different.
For his part, Elder said the most difficult part of the transition from college to the pros has been learning the playbook, which has led to many late nights studying.
"There's a lot of plays that you have to learn, a lot of schemes," he said.
Though for Elder, 23, this camp is as much about learning the Cardinals' playbook as it is about simply how to play as a professional, which he said, means soaking in as much knowledge as possible from veterans like Adrian Wilson and Kerry Rhodes.
And hopefully, if he can combine knowledge of the playbook with the wisdom imparted on him by the veterans, just maybe he'll find a way to stick with the Cardinals this season.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.