Arizona Cardinals DE Vonnie Holliday relishes mentor role
For Arizona Cardinals veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday, transitioning into the role of mentor hasn't been easy, but it's something he relishes.
"My role is to educate, to teach, to bestow some of the knowledge that I've gathered over the past 15 years to the younger guys," Holliday told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Thursday.
The 36-year-old said he will relay his years of experience in a 3-4 defensive scheme, recognizing formations and other fundamentals to the youngsters in camp.
And so far, it's been quite fulfilling for Holliday to see players being receptive of his advice and strategies in the huddle.
"Young guys like David Carter, Dan Williams, even Calais [Campbell]," Holliday said. "Here's a guy coming off a great year last year. [Campbell] had a big payday, but he's still hungry for knowledge and helping and getting better in this league."
In the twilight of his career, Holliday remains energized by the prospect of getting out on the field every day and he has nothing but praise for his experience in defensive coordinator Ray Horton's scheme.
According to Holliday, coming into camp this year and having the whole playbook available from the onset was a huge advantage in getting the defense on the same page early. He said there are extremely high expectations heading into the season.
"Guys understand [the scheme] now, they've really grasped and taken ownership of this defense you are going to see, we are going to get after it," Holliday said. "It's going to be really exciting to watch."
- ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.