Arizona Cardinals RB Ryan Williams will not play Sunday
The Arizona Cardinals will be without the services of running back Ryan Williams on Sunday, head coach Ken Whisenhunt said.
Whiz said Williams could play if he wanted to on Tuesday, but announced Friday that the running back would continue to work on his fitness.
"Ryan's not going to play," Whisenhunt said. "We said all along that we were going to be conservative with that and I think he really pushed it hard this week, especially Wednesday night, and he's got a little bit of soreness, so I don't want to risk it."
Williams ruptured his patellar tendon in his right knee in a preseason game last season against the Green Bay Packers and has been working to get back to full health ever since.
"I'm still anxious at the same time because I haven't played a game in a while, but I'm not because I want to make sure I'm completely comfortable, and going to be comfortable with myself," Williams said after practice Tuesday.
The running back out of Virginia Tech has not seen a minute of playing time in the regular NFL season yet.
The Cardinals open their preseason on Sunday against the New Orleans Saints in the Hall of Fame Game.
Arizona Sports 620's Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.