Arizona Cardinals coach Whisenhunt prepared for matchup with Saints
After ten days of training camp the Cardinals have made strides on both sides of the ball, although coach Ken Whisenhunt knows the true test for the team will come on the playing field.
"Am I satisfied? No. Am I happy? I'm happy with the way they worked," Whisenhunt said. "Ask me after the game. If we play well, then yes. If we don't, then no."
Whisenhunt plans to keep the gameplan simple against a Saints team that will most likely do the same. New Orleans will be playing in their first football game since the bounty scandal left them without head coach Sean Payton for the entire season.
"I just hope we play a good physical game and we don't make a lot of mistakes. That we come out of it injury free, that's what you really want," Whisenhunt said. "I know we'll play hard and hope we'll make some plays early in the game and we can continue to build off of that."
Whisenhunt did say that running back Ryan Williams will sit on Sunday and likewise the team will air on the side of caution when deciding whether or not to let Adrian Wilson suit up due to a lingering sore calf.
"His calf is doing well, but I don't think it's really the utmost importance that he plays in this game. I think we'll be okay if he misses this one so we're not going to push that either."
Whisenhunt doesn't expect the game to get any more intense than the goal line session they ran at camp on Wednesday night, but did acknowledge that just getting back onto the playing field will be exciting for everyone involved.
"You get out of the routine, you're going against a different opponent, and you're going to play a game. There will be a lot of energy with this game because it is the Hall of Fame game. To see our guys get excited and fired up about that, look it's not going to practice it's playing a game. There are a lot of guys that are trying to get a job."
Moving forward Whisenhunt knows there's still plenty of work to do, but seems excited about the momentum the team has going into Sunday.
"I'm not under any illusion that we're a polished or finished product yet. You don't just do that in ten days. But if we continue to work the way we worked in camp then we have a chance to be a pretty good football team. Hopefully that'll be reflected in some fashion on Sunday."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.