Updated Aug 7, 2012 - 1:54 pm
Cardinals activate Beanie Wells from PUP list
The team removed running back Beanie Wells from the PUP list Tuesday, allowing him to participate in the team's morning walk-through.
"Going through everything as a team, getting the ball, doing a little but of cutting," Wells said of what he did.
Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said every little bit Wells can do right now will help him get back into the swing of things.
"I think it's important right now that he gets back into the flow of the walk-throughs," he said. "There's a lot of things you can do, whether it's protection pickups, footwork, those kind of things."
Wells said he is likely to take it slowly this week as the team is practicing against the Kansas City Chiefs, adding that he'll probably open it up more when the team returns to Flagstaff.
"I think if we were at home going against our defense I'd probably more full go," he said. "But who knows, we may pick up stuff as the week goes on."
The (now) 24-year-old former Ohio State star has been on the Physically Unable to Perform list since the opening of training camp due to offseason knee surgery, but both he and the coaches have maintained a lack of concern over him possibly missing anything more than a few training camp practices.
In other words, he has always been expected to be ready for the September 9 season opener against the Seahawks.
Wells ran for a career-high 1,047 yards and 10 touchdowns last season, and will be counted on to once again carry the load out of the backfield along with second-year pro Ryan Williams, who is also recovering from an injury.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.