Tales from the road: Fight-less practice still intense for Cards and Chiefs
By all accounts, both coaches and players alike were happy with the effort and the intensity after they spent more than two-hours on the field in temps hovering around the century mark. It was those conditions that may have kept any skirmishes from breaking out.
"It was too hot to fight out there, if it wasn't that hot, I'm pretty sure there would have been some fights," said Cardinals safety Kerry Rhodes following practice.
After participating in the morning's walk-through and the Cards' team drills this afternoon, both Kevin Kolb and Beanie Wells rested during the combined team drills. Kolb has reported soreness in his chest still and hurting whenever he coughs, laughs or sleeps, making him wonder whether he'll be able to play Friday in KC. His coach isn't as concerned and expects him to be out there in a backup role to Friday's starter John Skelton.
Neither of those guys stood out Tuesday, but rookie signal caller Ryan Lindley looked sharp in the red zone drills which actually aired live on the NFL Network this afternoon. Other highlights from the practice against the Chiefs came from linebacker Daryl Washington, who stripped quarterback Matt Cassel of the ball in 7-on-7 drills, and running back Ryan Williams made some strong progress much to the delight of Ken Whisenhunt, who praised his toughness afterwards but would not yet commit to playing him in Friday's game.
Meanwhile, Whisenhunt took the opportunity to playfully rip defensive end Calais Campbell, who told reporters that he intentionally saved some of his tricks for Friday night's game.
"Calais has got that many moves? That's news to me," coach Whiz said with a smile.
Wednesday the Redbirds will have another morning walk-through and then an afternoon practice here in St. Joseph before heading to Kansas City on Thursday.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.