Whisenhunt knows Cardinals must improve tackling
Tackling or, rather, a lack of it.
The Saints marched down the field on their opening possession against a Cardinals defense that seemed helpless to stop them, aided much of the way by missed tackles.
Asked about it Wednesday, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said it must improve.
"I think what you really have to do is work on technique," he said. "It's hard without doing it, and we've got to get better as these games progress."
Tackling is one of the toughest things to shake the rust off of during camp because there is so little of it during practices. And if you can't practice tackling it will be difficult to improve at it.
"That's one of the things that you have to work yourself back into," Whisenhunt said, "because you can't do it every day in practice."
That leads to mistakes, Whisenhunt said, and issues like the ones Sunday in Canton lead to a sense of urgency.
He said that should lead to more work on bringing people down, and hopefully that will translate into games.
- ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.