Updated Aug 20, 2012 - 1:18 pm
A roster spot assured, Cards' Justin Bethel won't stop working
The sixth-round pick, however, refuses to go all in.
"He hasn't told me personally," Bethel said following the team's walk-through Monday morning. "And I prefer him not to."
Bethel, drafted 177th overall, blocked both a punt -- which he returned 19 yards for a touchdown -- and PAT against the Raiders last week at University of Phoenix Stadium. He now has three blocked kicks in three preseason games.
"I really don't even like the whole thing about people saying you are already on the team because I don't want it to seem like I can just stop working," Bethel said. "Because that's not the case. I'm going to keep working hard, keep going out there trying to make plays.
"I still got a point to prove that I can play and make plays."
Making plays -- especially on special teams -- is something Bethel has a knack for doing. At Presbyterian, he set a Big South career record with nine blocked kicks.
"I don't know. It's hard to explain," he said when asked why he's so successful. "I just run. I know where I'm suppose to go. I think I'm so confident in that I just know what I'm suppose to do. I believe in my ability to get to where I'm suppose to be at and I think that's why I can make plays."
Bethel knows -- despite what Whisenhunt has already said -- the one way for him to standout, make the team and contribute as a rookie is on special teams.
"I do put a lot of preparation in it," he said. "[But] I don't want to let it overtake my defensive responsibilities. I'm just trying to balance it and get all the work I can at both."
The Cardinals list Bethel as a safety but are also getting him some snaps at corner.
"It's coming along," Bethel said of his defense. "I had a long way to come. There's a lot for me to learn.
"I'm learning the playbook. I think I'm going to be able to eventually help on defense while still making plays on special teams."
Bethel has certainly raised the bar there.
"I plan on keep raising it," he said. "We'll see what happens."
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?