Final Cardinals camp battle: William Powell vs. Alfonso Smith
Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams are locked in as the team's top two backs, and LaRod Stephens-Howling will also have a role on the team, leaving both William Powell and Alfonso Smith vying for the role of backup to the backup's backup.
A 24-year-old who went undrafted out of Kansas State, Powell has had an excellent preseason for the Cardinals, racking up 231 yards and three touchdowns on 33 attempts.
Powell leads the entire NFL in preseason rushing yards, and while his numbers ultimately won't count, they have certainly put his name in the conversation for a roster spot that was anything but guaranteed just months ago.
It's a far cry from last season, when Powell was best known as the guy who carried the rock a healthy 29 times in the preseason finale, as the coaching staff was hoping to preserve the running backs it was planning on keeping around.
Powell is set to get a substantial amount of carries Thursday night, but for a completely different reason.
Alfonso Smith went into training camp this year likely with a roster spot in tow, but all bets are off now.
One advantage Smith may have is his regular season experience, as he got the start for the Cardinals in Seattle last season and received carries in a few other games.
Coming Tuesday: Tackles
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.