Updated Aug 27, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Cardinals coach wants QBs to cut down on turnovers
Three of those picks belong to Kevin Kolb and two to John Skelton, meaning each QB has had some issues with ball control.
That's going to have to change, according to Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"If you look at where we are as a team, if we don't turn the ball over we've got a pretty good football team," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday.
Indeed, the Cardinals can ill-afford to give away opportunities, and while it would be nice to find a quarterback who can light up the scoreboard, the coach feels like cutting down on turnovers could be equally important.
"To me, number one at that position, we cannot turn the ball over the way we've done in preseason."
It would probably be fair to say the QB competition has not gone exactly according to plan, because most were hoping (or expecting) one of the two options to really stand out. Unfortunately neither of the two has really staked claim to the job, which is pretty disappointing.
"And that's what we're going to do."
Whisenhunt did say that there is no official timetable for which a decision will be made, adding that he'd wait until the final moment if it gave the team a better chance to prepare for the first game.
"I don't think waiting until the last minute is good in this situation," he said. "I think we want to say this is what our starting team is, this is what our expectations are, and when it's the appropriate time we're going to do that."
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!