Updated Aug 27, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Cardinals coach wants QBs to cut down on turnovers
Three of those picks belong to Kevin Kolb and two to John Skelton, meaning each QB has had some issues with ball control.
That's going to have to change, according to Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"If you look at where we are as a team, if we don't turn the ball over we've got a pretty good football team," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday.
Indeed, the Cardinals can ill-afford to give away opportunities, and while it would be nice to find a quarterback who can light up the scoreboard, the coach feels like cutting down on turnovers could be equally important.
"To me, number one at that position, we cannot turn the ball over the way we've done in preseason."
It would probably be fair to say the QB competition has not gone exactly according to plan, because most were hoping (or expecting) one of the two options to really stand out. Unfortunately neither of the two has really staked claim to the job, which is pretty disappointing.
"And that's what we're going to do."
Whisenhunt did say that there is no official timetable for which a decision will be made, adding that he'd wait until the final moment if it gave the team a better chance to prepare for the first game.
"I don't think waiting until the last minute is good in this situation," he said. "I think we want to say this is what our starting team is, this is what our expectations are, and when it's the appropriate time we're going to do that."
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.