Updated Aug 27, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Cardinals coach wants QBs to cut down on turnovers
Three of those picks belong to Kevin Kolb and two to John Skelton, meaning each QB has had some issues with ball control.
That's going to have to change, according to Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"If you look at where we are as a team, if we don't turn the ball over we've got a pretty good football team," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday.
Indeed, the Cardinals can ill-afford to give away opportunities, and while it would be nice to find a quarterback who can light up the scoreboard, the coach feels like cutting down on turnovers could be equally important.
"To me, number one at that position, we cannot turn the ball over the way we've done in preseason."
It would probably be fair to say the QB competition has not gone exactly according to plan, because most were hoping (or expecting) one of the two options to really stand out. Unfortunately neither of the two has really staked claim to the job, which is pretty disappointing.
"And that's what we're going to do."
Whisenhunt did say that there is no official timetable for which a decision will be made, adding that he'd wait until the final moment if it gave the team a better chance to prepare for the first game.
"I don't think waiting until the last minute is good in this situation," he said. "I think we want to say this is what our starting team is, this is what our expectations are, and when it's the appropriate time we're going to do that."
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.