Updated Aug 27, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Cardinals coach wants QBs to cut down on turnovers
Three of those picks belong to Kevin Kolb and two to John Skelton, meaning each QB has had some issues with ball control.
That's going to have to change, according to Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"If you look at where we are as a team, if we don't turn the ball over we've got a pretty good football team," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday.
Indeed, the Cardinals can ill-afford to give away opportunities, and while it would be nice to find a quarterback who can light up the scoreboard, the coach feels like cutting down on turnovers could be equally important.
"To me, number one at that position, we cannot turn the ball over the way we've done in preseason."
It would probably be fair to say the QB competition has not gone exactly according to plan, because most were hoping (or expecting) one of the two options to really stand out. Unfortunately neither of the two has really staked claim to the job, which is pretty disappointing.
"And that's what we're going to do."
Whisenhunt did say that there is no official timetable for which a decision will be made, adding that he'd wait until the final moment if it gave the team a better chance to prepare for the first game.
"I don't think waiting until the last minute is good in this situation," he said. "I think we want to say this is what our starting team is, this is what our expectations are, and when it's the appropriate time we're going to do that."
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.