Arizona Cardinals QB drama of little concern to Larry Fitzgerald
Assuming, of course, the ball actually gets to him.
The Pro Bowler is about to enter his ninth NFL season, and with career totals of 693 receptions, 9,615 yards and 73 touchdowns, it's obvious he knows what he's doing on the field.
But whether or not his team knows what it's doing at the QB position, he said, is really of little concern to him.
"I'm prepared and ready to go out there and play with whoever," he said Monday. "I've played with a million quarterbacks, it seems like, in my career and I try not to focus on who's throwing the ball.
"My job is to go out there and catch it, and I try to focus on that."
It's the right mindset to take, as a QB competition that was supposed to lead to the team finding a long-term starter has instead led to plenty of uncertainty. Neither Kevin Kolb nor John Skelton have looked particularly impressive in preseason games, and as of now Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt has refused to name a starter for the Week 1 opener against the Seahawks.
But that's a job that belongs to the coach, not the receiver, which is why Fitz says he focuses only on doing his job and holding himself accountable for how he plays.
"I know my teammates and fellow receivers, we feel the same way," he said. "We believe in our coaching staff and the decisions they make on a daily basis. We're going to follow leadership and we're going to keep trucking."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.