Arizona Cardinals starting QB John Skelton feels vindicated by decision
A dream has been realized for John Skelton, as the 24-year-old has won the Arizona Cardinals starting quarterback.
"I've been working hard the whole offseason," Skelton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Friday. "My goal was to get better each day at practice and be consistent and being named the starter kind of vindicates everything that I've done this offseason."
Skelton explained how he found out he would start against the Seattle Seahawks Week 1 of the 2012 season.
"[Head coach Ken Whisenhunt] had Kevin [Kolb] and I up there as soon as our team meeting was done," Skelton explained. "Whiz was in the office, [offensive coordinator] Mike Miller and [quarterbacks coach] John McNulty were up there as well, and Whiz basically came out and said we are going to name you the starter."
Whisenhunt assured Skelton that it was his performance that warranted this decision and that he was right man for the job.
"He said we are not giving you the starting job, we feel like you've earned it," Skelton said. "Go ahead and move on from there. He basically came out and said it that way and then he said the real hard work starts now and we know you are going to be able to handle it."
During the offseason, Whisenhunt said the quarterback job was up for grabs between Skelton and Kevin Kolb.
"As soon as [Whisenhunt] at the end of last year said that it would be an open competition, I kind of took that and ran with it.
"I am thankful for the opportunity, for making it a fair competition like he said he would," Skelton said. "So we're all excited, everyone in the room and I am sure everyone on the team is excited to move forward as well."
While Skelton is certainly pleased to have the speculation and media attention surrounding the quarterback competition over, he knows the real test is coming.
"Once [Whisenhunt] told me I was excited, I cracked a little smile," Skelton stated. "I knew the hard work was about to begin. I am ready to kind of take it by the horns and move forward."
Skelton finished the preseason 14-for-25 passing for 131 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs.
- Bruce Arians and Charles Barkley in agreement on gay athlete issue
- Tyrann Mathieu making 'believers'
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br