Updated Aug 31, 2012 - 6:44 pm
Kurt Warner: Skelton was the only decision to start
Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner is weighing in on the team's decision to make John Skelton the starter.
"I can't say that I am surprised that [Skelton]'s going to be the starter," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday. "I've been pulling for [Kolb] for a couple years to really get into the system and feel comfortable where he could really showcase his skills."
While Warner personally was in the Kevin Kolb camp, rooting for the embattled quarterback to come into his own, he does think the decision to go with Skelton has its benefits.
"I see a young kid who has a big arm, has the ability to get the ball down the field," Warner said. "He's a guy that's going to take chances to Larry Fitzgerald, which at times can be a really good thing.
"I see a guy that stands in the pocket well that doesn't panic in the pocket, which are all good things."
The fact neither quarterback was able to distinguish themselves during preseason certainly made head coach Ken Whisenhunt's decision even harder.
Skelton completed 14-of-25 passes for 131 yards with a QB rating of 50.6 while Kolb went 22-of-37 passing for 203 yards with a QB rating of 49.7.
But at the end of the day, Warner believes the Cardinals went with the man who had made the best impression on team brass to this point.
"I think [the Cardinals] had to make the decision based on what they had seen up to this point," Warner said. "With [Skelton] playing last year and making some big plays and winning some games for them, I really think that was the overriding factor."
Warner thinks Skelton's chemistry with his teammates factored into the Cardinals decision to start him.
"At least [Skelton]'s got a track record with the guys in the locker room that he's played, he's made big plays and they've won and unfortunately [Kolb] never got to that point where he could really bring a strong resume to the table.
"I really felt this was the only decision, especially at this time, that coach Whisenhunt could make," Warner stated.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.