Updated Aug 31, 2012 - 6:44 pm
Kurt Warner: Skelton was the only decision to start
Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner is weighing in on the team's decision to make John Skelton the starter.
"I can't say that I am surprised that [Skelton]'s going to be the starter," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday. "I've been pulling for [Kolb] for a couple years to really get into the system and feel comfortable where he could really showcase his skills."
While Warner personally was in the Kevin Kolb camp, rooting for the embattled quarterback to come into his own, he does think the decision to go with Skelton has its benefits.
"I see a young kid who has a big arm, has the ability to get the ball down the field," Warner said. "He's a guy that's going to take chances to Larry Fitzgerald, which at times can be a really good thing.
"I see a guy that stands in the pocket well that doesn't panic in the pocket, which are all good things."
The fact neither quarterback was able to distinguish themselves during preseason certainly made head coach Ken Whisenhunt's decision even harder.
Skelton completed 14-of-25 passes for 131 yards with a QB rating of 50.6 while Kolb went 22-of-37 passing for 203 yards with a QB rating of 49.7.
But at the end of the day, Warner believes the Cardinals went with the man who had made the best impression on team brass to this point.
"I think [the Cardinals] had to make the decision based on what they had seen up to this point," Warner said. "With [Skelton] playing last year and making some big plays and winning some games for them, I really think that was the overriding factor."
Warner thinks Skelton's chemistry with his teammates factored into the Cardinals decision to start him.
"At least [Skelton]'s got a track record with the guys in the locker room that he's played, he's made big plays and they've won and unfortunately [Kolb] never got to that point where he could really bring a strong resume to the table.
"I really felt this was the only decision, especially at this time, that coach Whisenhunt could make," Warner stated.
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves