Skelton: End to Arizona Cardinals quarterback controversy a good thing
Starting Arizona Cardinals quarterback John Skelton said the end of the position battle is a good thing for not only him, but the team as well.
"It's good. Now it's all ones," he told media on Monday. "You're not in there with twos. You're not trying to check to see who the center is and stuff like that. Hopefully, from here on out, we'll have the same 11 guys on the field every day."
The quarterback controversy between Skelton and Kevin Kolb felt like a never-ending saga, but the starter said he hasn't really had time to discuss his role with the new backup.
"We kind of just left it at that," Skelton said. "We both are professionals about it. We both knew going into it the ramifications. I think it was best left unsaid."
Skelton said that, after getting some starting experience last year, that he's going to focus on keeping the ball in the Cards' possession and do everything he can to help an offensive line that clearly struggled in the preseason.
"We're going to do some stuff to help out the younger guys outside, especially against a better pass rush," he said. "Anything we can do, snap counts and stuff like that, we're going to do to try to help them."
After being named the starter, Skelton said his phone and email filled with congratulatory messages from both people he knew and perfect strangers.
"A lot of text messages. I feel bad because I can't even reply to all of them there are so many.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.