Whisenhunt, Horton confident in defense entering Week 1
Defensive coordinator Ray Horton feels that the extra preseason game and the last week of practice helped the defense focus on the task ahead.
"We could correct some things that were wrong and this was really probably one of our best weeks of practice." Horton said.
The biggest question mark on the Cardinals defense has to be the cornerback position. Patrick Peterson, in his second season, is starting alongside rookie Jamell Fleming.
"I know we are better than we were last year, depth wise," Horton said. "We have to go out there and do it, but I am totally comfortable with what we have."
Covering Seahawks 6-foot-4 wide receiver Sidney Rice will be a tall task for Cards cornerbacks this week, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn't feel that Rice's size will be a major factor.
Whisenhunt explained that facing tall receivers is something his cornerbacks are used to because they do it in practice.
"Hopefully some of the work that they have gotten against Fitz, Michael Floyd, LeRon (Byrd) and those guys that are tall will help pay off in playing these guys on Sunday," Whisenhunt said.
Along with Fleming and Peterson, the Cardinals might have another rising star in the secondary in Justin Bethel.
Horton says he likes what he sees out of Bethel athletically and feels the team will be okay if they need him to play this season.
"You see what he does on special teams and for me, that's probably the biggest indicator of what kind of football player you're going to have later in his career, because the kid can play," Horton said.
- Bruce Arians and Charles Barkley in agreement on gay athlete issue
- Tyrann Mathieu making 'believers'
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br