Injury update: John Skelton suffers ankle sprain, it's good news
The quarterback, who had his right leg put in an aircast before being carted off the field, wasn't coming back into the game. And judging by the way Skelton reacted, it was reasonable to wonder if he'd be back this season.
"The one thing that I always say about John is that he's tough as nails," fellow QB Kevin Kolb said after the game. "He has proven that, so when he was laying there I knew it was pretty serious."
Turns out it could have been worse. Much worse.
"After tests today and getting him checked, it's a low ankle sprain," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday. "So recovery time on that is -- I'm not going to get into how long it's going to be -- but it's good news that it is a low ankle sprain, and we don't think it will be something that's going to hold him out too long."
Whisenhunt would not elaborate on when Skelton will return to the field, though he would not rule him out for Sunday's game in New England. It really all depends on how the quarterback responds to treatment.
But the idea that Skelton should play again this season, possibly soon, is something to be happy about.
"Obviously, where we started from last night when he was down on the field it's a lot better news," he said.
Skelton completed 14-of-28 passes for 149 yards with one interception Sunday. He was relieved by Kevin Kolb, who engineered a game-winning touchdown drive.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.