Horton: Patriots a 'measuring stick game' for Cards
"It's going to be a fantastic challenge for our guys," Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "They are well-coached, well-disciplined, they don't make mistakes and they don't beat themselves."
Horton feels that this game will teach his team a lot about where they stand.
"It's really just a measuring stick game of where are we," Horton said. "That team up there have been a perennial Super Bowl and AFC East champions, day in and day out. We are trying to build that here."
Horton worked with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2004 to 2010 and during that time he coached in many "epic" battles against New England.
During that time, Horton has become familiar with the Patriots' style of play and feels that his defense knows what to expect.
"They are not going to surprise us, they are not going to fool us," Horton said. "They are being well-respected in our building going up there."
New England's simple style of play makes them easy to prepare for, but it is also what makes them tough to beat.
"They just figure we will beat you because we are better than you and we know what we are doing," Horton said. "You got to disrupt them, you've got to hit them, you've got to hit the quarterback. If you don't make it uncomfortable for them, it's like seven-on-seven."
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Matt Leinart ranked as one of top NFL Draft busts
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.