Whisenhunt says Kolb did what team expected him to do
Getting his first start since last season -- and first as the replacement for an injured starter -- Kolb stepped up and led the Cardinals to a big win against a heavily-favored Patriots team.
The quarterback completed 15-of-27 passes for 140 yards, throwing one touchdown and no interceptions. He also ran for a score and fumbled once.
Cardinals head coach was pleased with the overall performance.
"Kevin did what we expected," he said Monday. "He played well. He made some good plays for us."
Whisenhunt said Kolb moved in the pocket well and made some checks at the line of scrimmage -- including one that led to his five-yard sneak into the end zone that gave the Cards a two-score lead -- that showed what the 28-year-old can do.
"He has a good feel for those things, and I thought he did a very good job," Whisenhunt said.
Good enough to earn another start, even if John Skelton is healthy enough to return to the field? That's not a question the coach has to answer until Skelton is fully recovered from the injury he suffered Week 1 against Seattle. As it stands, he has not been able to get back on the practice field, though that time could be nearing.
"It really depends on how he can do with the movement stuff, being able to push off the ankle," the coach said of Skelton's probability of returning. "We know he's getting closer, but until he can take a drop and move around in the pocket we won't know much."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.