Arizona Cardinals always a threat to block field goals
Up just two after blowing an 11-point fourth quarter lead, Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski, having made all four of his previous attempts Sunday, lined up for the attempt.
While few Cardinals fans had to be confident at that point in the game, in the back of their minds had to have been the team's success at blocking field goals. It may have been in the front of Gostkowski's mind, as he pushed the kick wide -- very wide -- left.
"It definitely gets in kickers' heads," Cardinals lineman and field goal blocker extraordinaire Calais Campbell said Monday. "Especially because you know we're going to give it our all on that play."
The Cardinals have blocked 13 field goals since 2008, a number that is quite staggering given the infrequency in which attempts are actually blocked. It's that success, though, that led Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt to have belief that his team was going to hang on Sunday in Foxborough.
"It doesn't make you feel any better," he said, noting that the way the game was finishing was anything but comforting. "It tears at you to think that they could have won that game with a kick.
"But in the back of your mind you do know that you have a chance to block it, and that gives you some small comfort."
The Cardinals did not block it, but it's very possible the threat alone caused Gostkowski to rush things, causing him to miss badly on the attempt.
And while Whisenhunt said he doesn't know for sure if the threat of a block led to the miss, he knows it's possible.
"I hope, I think it contributed to the miss, because they at least had to think about it."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.