Arizona Cardinals' DC Horton on successful Patriots game plan
The Arizona Cardinals defense is garnering praise across the spectrum for the way they handled Tom Brady and the powerhouse New England Patriots in their stunning upset win Sunday.
The man responsible for the transformation is defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who is putting together an exemplary resume for a head coaching position in the NFL, with his brilliant strategic game plans.
Horton joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday and talked about the plan he crafted specifically for Brady and the Patriots.
"Everything that we did was based on what had they did last year and what we thought they were going to do and a lot of it we took them out of their game plan so they didn't do a ton of it," Horton said. "[The plan] was to confuse Tom Brady, to come up with some things he hasn't seen before, because it is different."
Brady only had one touchdown in the Patriots loss, and admittedly was caught off guard.
"I heard through Jay Feely that he talked to Tom Brady after the game and Tom said, 'I have no idea what you guys are doing', and so it did work," Horton said.
But don't expect to see the Cardinals rest on their laurels following their success against New England. Horton has already formulated a new game plan for Sunday's game against the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles.
"I am so deep into Philadelphia right now. I forgot we played New England and Tom Brady and those guys," Horton said. "Our full attention is to Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles."
Horton may have forgotten about Brady, but it's safe to say the Patriots franchise quarterback will not soon forget the Arizona Cardinals.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.