ESPN insider: NFC West is 'unique division'
Heading into Week 3, there are only six remaining undefeated teams. The NFL West is the only division to boast two of them -- the 49ers and Cardinals.
ESPN senior NFL analyst John Clayton appeared on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show on Thursday, and believes that while most probably aren't buying the division's staying power among the league's elite, times are certainly changing.
"This is a very unique division, because it is kind of an old school division," Clayton said. "What I think people don't understand is that Arizona has a very good defense. Seattle has a very good defense. And we know the 49ers might have the best defense in football right now. These teams are going to be in games."
As a division, the four squads are off to a quick 6-2 start. But all that could change with tough NFC foes on the docket this weekend. In addition to the Cardinals clash with the Eagles on Sunday, the Seahawks entertain the Packers, while the 49ers and Rams head up north to face off against the Vikings and Bears, respectively.
While the rise of the NFC West is a good thing competitive-wise for teams within the division, Clayton says it also has allowed the NFC to move well in front of the AFC as the best conference in football.
"When you use to look at matchups between the AFC and the NFL West, there was a distinct advantage for AFC teams," said Clayton. "That just isn't the case anymore. Now, the seven worst teams are actually in the AFC."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.