Jaworski: Cardinals defense is playing terrific
Then the unthinkable happened. Patriots' Pro Bowl quarterback Tom Brady began to look very un-Brady like against the Cardinals defense. The Cardinals roughed up the three-time Super Bowl champion, bringing him down four times and never allowing him to get comfortable in the pocket.
The 20-18 loss snapped Brady's streak of 10 straight wins as starting quarterback in home openers and dropped his record to 35-2 in his last 37 regular-season starts at home.
"This Arizona defense is playing terrific and we shouldn't be surprised because under Ray Horton, who was in his rookie season as a defensive coordinator a year ago in Arizona, they played very well down the stretch last year," said Jaworski. "But, I'm seeing some things, this defense could be really, really good."
The Cardinals defense allowed the Pro Bowl quarterback tom complete just 3-of-12 throws for 80 yards on throws of at least 15 yards down the field and 5-15 on third down conversions.
Horton had attributed the Cardinals' defensive success to Brady tipping New England's plays, allowing his defense to force Brady to become increasingly frustrated as the game went on.
"Their schemes are very simple but very disciplined. They love to play their 2-4-5 base, that's two down lineman, four linebackers and five defensive backs," said Jaworski. "They love that package. And why not when you have a Darnell Dockett and a Calais Campbell inside? Those two guys can pretty much handle the interior of any offensive line in the league."
This Sunday, the Cardinals defense looks to continue it's dominance over the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback Michel Vick. But, according to Jaworski, if the Cardinals continue to play intelligent football they should have no problem containing the Eagles elusive quarterback.
"I think the Cardinals are going to give the Eagles all they can handle on Sunday," concluded Jaworski.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.