Coach Whisenhunt: Best QB will start when Skelton returns
He does, however, believe in letting the best player play. Period.
With John Skelton getting back on the practice field it would seem he's getting closer to being able to play again, meaning the Cardinals will have a decision on their hands.
Go back to Skelton, who won the starting job in the preseason, or stick with Kevin Kolb, who has led the Cardinals to a couple of wins to start the season.
"It's going to be the same thing we always do," Whisenhunt told the NFL Network Friday morning. "We're going to go with the player that we think gives us the best chance to win."
Vague? A little. Coach-speak? For sure. Unreasonable? Not really.
Skelton was injured in the fourth quarter of the Cardinals' Week 1 win over Seattle, leaving the game after completing just 14-of-28 passes for 149 yards and an interception.
Since then all Kolb has done is complete 21-of-35 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns. He led the game-winning drive against Seattle and was under center when the Cardinals upset the New England Patriots in Foxborough.
"Kevin has done exactly what we expected him to do, and that's come in and play well," Whisenhunt said. "I don't have any expectation of John doing anything different than wanting to get back healthy and compete for the job.
"Once we get to that point then we'll make that decision."
Another solid effort from Kolb Sunday against the Eagles would make the choice a little tougher for the coach, but it's a problem he'd be happy to deal with.
- Bruce Arians and Charles Barkley in agreement on gay athlete issue
- Tyrann Mathieu making 'believers'
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br