Updated Sep 21, 2012 - 2:10 pm
Defense, special teams key to Cards success
NFL analyst Ron Jaworski was on with Arizona Sports 620's Gambo and Burns and agreed that the Cardinals have one of the best defenses in the NFL.
"You see tremendous energy and that coincides with tremendous discipline," Jaworski said. "That's why they are one of the best defenses in the league."
Jaworski said that the defense began to emerge last season, but people are just now starting to notice.
"When you look at Calais Campbell and Darnell Docket in their 2-4-5 look, they get extreme pressure on the quarterback. They win inside," Jaworski said. "Then you watch these linebackers move off the edge. We hear about Daryl Washington all the time, but Paris Lenon playing at a high level and Sam Acho playing at a high level."
He also praised how well the defensive players "understand their roles."
"They understand where they are supposed to be and they understand where their responsibilities are," Jaworski said.
The Cardinals special teams may be even more dominant than their defense, but they don't always get the attention they deserve.
"We as media hype, sometimes look at individual players, maybe a unit of each game," Jaworski said. "Very infrequently do we talk about the significance of special teams."
Jaworski attributes both of the Cardinals victories to the play of their special teams so far. Last week against the New England Patriots, the Cardinals won after Patriots' kicker Stephen Gostkowski missed a 42-yard game winning field goal.
"There is no doubt in my mind, he (Gostkowski) was worried about pressure up the middle." Jaworski said. "This guy was 38-for-38 inside the 40. When you got big Calais Campbell out there, and you're thinking about him."
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.