Updated Sep 21, 2012 - 2:10 pm
Defense, special teams key to Cards success
NFL analyst Ron Jaworski was on with Arizona Sports 620's Gambo and Burns and agreed that the Cardinals have one of the best defenses in the NFL.
"You see tremendous energy and that coincides with tremendous discipline," Jaworski said. "That's why they are one of the best defenses in the league."
Jaworski said that the defense began to emerge last season, but people are just now starting to notice.
"When you look at Calais Campbell and Darnell Docket in their 2-4-5 look, they get extreme pressure on the quarterback. They win inside," Jaworski said. "Then you watch these linebackers move off the edge. We hear about Daryl Washington all the time, but Paris Lenon playing at a high level and Sam Acho playing at a high level."
He also praised how well the defensive players "understand their roles."
"They understand where they are supposed to be and they understand where their responsibilities are," Jaworski said.
The Cardinals special teams may be even more dominant than their defense, but they don't always get the attention they deserve.
"We as media hype, sometimes look at individual players, maybe a unit of each game," Jaworski said. "Very infrequently do we talk about the significance of special teams."
Jaworski attributes both of the Cardinals victories to the play of their special teams so far. Last week against the New England Patriots, the Cardinals won after Patriots' kicker Stephen Gostkowski missed a 42-yard game winning field goal.
"There is no doubt in my mind, he (Gostkowski) was worried about pressure up the middle." Jaworski said. "This guy was 38-for-38 inside the 40. When you got big Calais Campbell out there, and you're thinking about him."
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 19
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald back at practice, must pass one more test to play
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson 'fired up' about opportunity to play in must-win game
- Arizona Cardinals running back Andre Ellington: Coach Arians 'using me at perfect times'
- ProFootballFocus: Cardinals' Andre Ellington excels after contact, Rashard Mendenhall not so much
- Michael Bidwell, Cardinals President - Friday December 20Cardinals President talks about the upcoming game against Seattle.
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL analyst - Friday December 20The Cardinals found a way to beat the Titans on Sunday.
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday December 19The challenge of playing in Seattle and how he is happy Coach Arians has his back.
- Warren Moon, Seahawks Color Analyst - Thursday December 19Warren Moon, Seahawks Color Analyst
- Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo - Tuesday December 17Cardinal Wide Receiver Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo.