Updated Sep 21, 2012 - 2:10 pm
Defense, special teams key to Cards success
NFL analyst Ron Jaworski was on with Arizona Sports 620's Gambo and Burns and agreed that the Cardinals have one of the best defenses in the NFL.
"You see tremendous energy and that coincides with tremendous discipline," Jaworski said. "That's why they are one of the best defenses in the league."
Jaworski said that the defense began to emerge last season, but people are just now starting to notice.
"When you look at Calais Campbell and Darnell Docket in their 2-4-5 look, they get extreme pressure on the quarterback. They win inside," Jaworski said. "Then you watch these linebackers move off the edge. We hear about Daryl Washington all the time, but Paris Lenon playing at a high level and Sam Acho playing at a high level."
He also praised how well the defensive players "understand their roles."
"They understand where they are supposed to be and they understand where their responsibilities are," Jaworski said.
The Cardinals special teams may be even more dominant than their defense, but they don't always get the attention they deserve.
"We as media hype, sometimes look at individual players, maybe a unit of each game," Jaworski said. "Very infrequently do we talk about the significance of special teams."
Jaworski attributes both of the Cardinals victories to the play of their special teams so far. Last week against the New England Patriots, the Cardinals won after Patriots' kicker Stephen Gostkowski missed a 42-yard game winning field goal.
"There is no doubt in my mind, he (Gostkowski) was worried about pressure up the middle." Jaworski said. "This guy was 38-for-38 inside the 40. When you got big Calais Campbell out there, and you're thinking about him."
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.