Fitzgerald: Time for Cardinals offense to pull its weight
The Cardinals were facing off against the Philadelphia Eagles for the right to go to Super Bowl XLIII.
The game was at University of Phoenix Stadium, and it's the last time the Eagles played in the building.
Philadelphia is Arizona's opponent this Sunday.
"I just remember, vividly, the energy in that building," Fitzgerald said of the championship game. "When they announced us and we were coming out of that tunnel...the hair on my arms was standing up, I mean, I'd never heard it that loud.
"It was unbelievable, it was our fans in there pulling for us and pushing us to victory. It was an unbelievable feeling."
Sunday's matchup is not likely to have the same energy as the championship game, though it is a battle of teams looking to remain undefeated on this young season.
Besides a chance to improve to 3-0 for the first time since 1974, the game also represents an opportunity for the Cardinals to pick up their play on offense against one of the league's better defenses.
"We're not thinking about the 3-0, we're just thinking about going out there and playing 60 minutes of good football," Fitzgerald said. "We need to be able to do that. We haven't done that thus far; from an offensive standpoint we haven't even been close."
The Cardinals have scored 20 points in each of their first two games, though they rank 30th in the NFL in total offense and are tied for last in the league with a 5.6 yards per attempt average in the passing game.
"You know the way our defense is playing, the way our special teams is playing," Fitzgerald mused, "the blocked field goals, the blocked punts.
"These guys are playing lights out, it's time for us to pull our weight."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.