Cardinals not quite ready for quarterback controversy
The quarterback, who entered the season as the backup, has completed 38-of-59 passes for 428 yards and four touchdowns since replacing an injured John Skelton in the fourth quarter of a Week 1 win over Seattle.
Most figure it would be tough for Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt to give the starting job back to a healthy Skelton, at least with Kolb playing as well as he is.
That may indeed be the case, but we won't know for certain yet.
"I don't want to sound like a broken record, but until John's ready to play again there's nothing really new there, nothing to talk about," Whisenhunt said when asked about making a decision Monday.
That time may be nearing, though, as Skelton himself tweeted confidence in his health Monday afternoon.
Ankle feels a whole lot better. Two weeks out now. Ready to get back out there and join in on this fun. #birdgang— John Skelton (@johnskelton19) September 24, 2012
Whisenhunt himself said the QB looks like he's getting close.
"He practiced in team at the end of the week last week," he said. "Until I see him really have to step and drive and throw it -- and do that in practice with guys around him -- you're not going to feel comfortable with him being ready to go."
Whisenhunt will have a decision to make when Skelton is healthy enough to play, but if Kolb keeps up his current pace it won't be a difficult one for the coach to make.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.