Cris Carter: Not on Team Kolb
He had just lost his starting job to John Skelton. Heck, in the first game of the season, Kolb was booed by fans at University of Phoenix Stadium when he entered the game for an injured Skelton in the fourth quarter.
You know what's happened since then. Kolb has helped the Cardinals to their first 4-0 start since the Ford administration, and is in the top ten in the NFL in quarterback rating -- ahead of the Mannings, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Joe Flacco just to name a few.
Cardinal fans aren't exactly waving Kolb flags and anointing him as the savior of the franchise, but they recognize what the sixth-year signal caller has done to help his team.
But not everyone is on the Kolb bandwagon just yet. Enter eight-time Pro Bowler and current ESPN talking head Cris Carter, who had some interesting comments about the Cardinals' quarterback on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike Show Monday morning.
"They've kind of put the clamps on him and he's kind of a game manager," Carter said. "They've got Larry Fitzgerald, and they're afraid to throw the football."
Carter was asked if he thought Kolb's job was safe once Skelton returns to health from the ankle injury he sustained in Week 1 against Seattle.
"I'd be shocked if he's still the starter."
"The problem when you look at Kolb, Kolb looks like a backup," Carter said. "He doesn't look like a starter. And ever since he's been in Arizona, which is a brief time, there's never been impressive things said about him."
It's comments like these that make you wonder what some people see when they are watching football.
- ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.